What you can do with report data sources
Built-in data sources
Report Viewer supports the following built-in data source types:
- Microsoft SQL Server and Azure SQL Database
- SQL CE
- OLE DB, ODBC, and XML
Business object data sources
RDLC client reports can be rendered by consuming data from any data object implementing the IList, DataTable, or DataSet interfaces. To display data in the ASP.NET MVC Report Viewer, bind the DataSet, DataTable, or business objects that contain the data you need.
Custom data processing extensions
Connect to and retrieve your own data sources. The .NET Framework-compatible custom data processing extensions can be created using a data extension interface. With these, you can use any additional data sources like MySQL, SQLite, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and others, or extend a built-in data source.
Embedded and shared data sources
- Secure sources through hidden connection details.
- Load shared data sources that are local or embedded in an application.
- Connect data source with expression-based connection strings.
Embedded and shared data sets
- Load the shared data set that is local or embedded in an application.
- Use the shared data set in more than one report.
- Show a report that uses a data set with filters, parameters, and user-defined fields and parameters.